Sunday, June 27, 2010

Foam hats and playing catch...

There are some movie quotations that almost everyone recognizes.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d@%*."
"Go ahead, make my day."
"Toga! Toga! Toga!"

In my inner circle (meaning my mom, my sister, and my husband), we like to use obscure movie quotations and references in everyday conversation, to make valid points and to express ourselves clearly. As a result, we sometimes communicate using sentences that probably wouldn't make sense to anyone else. Unless, of course, that "anyone else" was a movie buff.

To demonstrate what I am talking about (if I haven't lost you, already), I've decided to share my top five favorite quotations used by my family and how we relate them to everyday life.

"And that's when the big bucks start rollin' in!" ~ Coming to America

Maurice (Louie Anderson) explains the fast food hierarchy to McDowell's new employee, Hakeem (Eddie Murphy). He says, "Hey, I started out mopping floors... but now I'm washing lettuce. Soon, I will be on fries and then the grill. And pretty soon, I'll make Assistant Manager. And that's when the big bucks start rollin' in!"

We usually use this one, sarcastically, when we are discussing ways to improve our financial standing, by taking baby steps.

EXAMPLE: "Don't worry. Soon it will be September, and I can sell the boys' old winter things on ebay... and that's when the big bucks start rolling in!"

"I think I'll start a paper route, right now." ~ Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

This is the line, announced by Pee-Wee Herman (dressed as a nun), who is about to steal his beloved bike back from a movie set. He thinks by saying that he'll start a paper route, he can just ride off without any trouble.

This one we use as a reference when someone does something underhanded or tries to avoid an issue, thinking no one will notice.

EXAMPLE: "Did Henry ask to take a snack to bed?"
"Nope. He just started a paper route and took the cookies into the room!"


"Those little lights aren't twinkling, Clark." ~ Christmas Vacation

I love when Clark W. Griswold's father-in-law, Art, points out this minor detail after Clark puts on the most magnificent Christmas light display in the history of the world.

This is used when someone is being nitpicky.

EXAMPLE: "When you unloaded the dishwasher, you forgot this fork."
"Oh, thanks. And I bet the little lights aren't twinkling, either!"


"It's not my fault that you wouldn't play catch with your father!" ~ Field of Dreams

Terrence Mann (James Earl Jones) exclaims this line when Ray (Kevin Costner) tells him that reading Mann's book caused Ray to boycott playing baseball with his dad.

We like to use this, when someone is being used as a scapegoat.

EXAMPLE: "Great, Mom. You called, to chat and I didn't get any laundry done."
"Oh, please. It's not my fault that you wouldn't play catch with your father!"

Foam Hats ~ Dumb and Dumber

Okay, so this isn't a quotation. "Foam hats" refers to the scene in Dumb and Dumber, when Lloyd goes to the store, with the last of the duo's money. After being told to only buy necessities, it shows him walking with a bag of goodies and wearing a giant, foam, cowboy hat.

This is used, exclusively, between my husband and I, whenever he goes to the store and strays from both the budget and my list.

EXAMPLE: "Michael, why did you buy Reese's cups and a Mad Magazine??"
"Don't be mad! I only bought a few foam hats!!"




Many times, we have said these things in public, only to see people give each other questioning looks, like, "Isn't she a little old for a paper route?" "They don't sell foam hats here!" or "What does cooking dinner have to do with playing catch?" But, that's just us, my quirky family. I understand them and they understand me. I hope that you are enjoying reading about them.  I'll try to keep you entertained.  I may be just a disgruntled mom who started a blog, but I am hoping to get a lot of followers and then maybe even a book deal.

'Cause that's when the big bucks start rollin' in!